Removing a file from VMFS volume fails with the error: Resource temporarily unavailable (2063629)
- Deleting a file from a VMFS datastore in the vSphere Client or the vSphere CLI fails.
- You see the error:
Resource temporarily unavailable
- When you attempt to delete a file from a VMFS datastore, the vmkernel.log file reports an error similar to:
cpu6:5455056)FS3: 1393: vol 'datastore_name', lock at 173475840: [Req mode: 1] Not free:cpu6:5455056)[type 10c00004 offset 173475840 v 158, hb offset 3338752gen 4307, mode 1, owner 51b23791-f35c96e9-44ed-3c4a92f61680 mtime 2278287cpu6:5455056)Res3: 5696: Rank violation threshold reached: cid 0xc1d0000c, resType 3, cnum 1410
cpu6:5455056)Fil3: 15247: Max retries (10) exceeded for caller Fil3RemoveCore (status 'Lock rank violation detected')
Note: The location of the vmkernel.log file:
- ESXi 5.5, 5.1 and 5.0: /var/log/
- ESXi 3.5 and 4.x: /var/log/messages/
This issue occurs if an ESXi host on the vCenter Server holds a lock on the file you are trying to delete.
To resolve this issue:
- Identify the host that is locking the file.
- Once the host is identified, try to remove the file from that host.
For more information on identifying the ESXi host that is locking the file, locating the file and removing it, see Investigating virtual machine file locks on ESXi/ESX (10051).